In probability theory, the law of large numbers (LLN) is a theorem that describes the result of performing the same experiment a large number of times. According to the law, the average of the results obtained from a large number of trials should be close to the expected value, and will tend to become closer as more trials are performed (wikipedia.org/lawoflargenumbers). The law is commonly expressed in these terms:
Further, in simpler terms, in order to get a desired value over time, one has to start off with a large number. Over time, the number will dwindle. In the end, the large number shrinks to the desired value.
What does God’s Holy Word say about this scientific tendency?
– Gideon’s army was shrunk from 22,000 to 10,000 to 300 (Judges 6-8).
– Scholars estimate that Sodom and Gomorrah had 200,000 inhabitants. But during the departure from the city only Lot, his wife, and two daughters left the city. Biblical accounts indicate that Lot’s wife was changed into a pillar of salt because she looked back. In the end, only Lot and his two daughters were saved (Genesis 19).
– Statisticians and economists agree that at this time in history, approximately 2 Trillion people were born, are living or have lived on earth. Yet, the bible states, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (Luke 7:13-14).
– Many are called, few are chosen (Matthew 22:14).
– Many people may plant seeds in your life. Many may water the seeds. Only God gives the increase (I Corinthians 3:6-7).
– Through the ministry of our Lord, as He lived here on earth, many people were healed- there were so many people healed that there could have been more written. More specifically, the bible states, And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written (John 1:25)! However, only 4 sympathetic people were at the food of the cross (John 19).
– Again, throughout the ministry of Jesus Christ, he fed 5,000, (Matthew 14:31-21) then 4,000 (Mark 8:1-10). But only between 120 to 3000 were in the upper room or temple receiving the Holy Spirit.
The bible is always right, for it is divinely inspired. Why is it that, in the spiritual and in the natural, these numbers dwindle so? I am not sure, but pray that come what may, I am always counted amongst those who are following God. This is my prayer:
O Lord, I pray that you purge my heart. Cleanse me from all unrighteousness, line me up with your will, teach me to obey, let me be obedient, and even as the numbers dwindle, let me be counted among your righteous. In Jesus name, I pray, Amen.