Since the recent deaths and suicides back home, I been remembering some scriptures that I have read about suicide.
There are at least three accounts of suicide in the bible (there is probably more, but I can only say that I have read three): Sampson, Ahithopel, and Judas. In each of these instances [Judges 16: 23-30, II Samuel 17:23, and Matthew 27:3-5, respectively,] the person who committed suicide had had the opportunity to perform a Godly act, but did not, and out of regret, committed suicide.
When we realize who God is, and humble ourselves to his sovereignty, (give him complete control over our lives,) suicide is out of the question.
- Isaiah 26:3 & 4- Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD forever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.
- II Corinthians 13:11- Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind- the mind of Jesus Christ, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
- Romans 8:28- And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which is also in Christ Jesus.
- Isaiah 26:3- Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stated on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
- I Thessalonians 5:17- Pray without ceasing.
- Jeremiah 29:11- For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, thoughts of peace, and not evil, to give you an expected end.
- II Thessalonians 3:3- … the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
- John 10:10- Jesus said, … ‘the thief cometh not, but for to seal, kill, and to destroy: I am come that ye might have life, and that they have it more abundantly’.
- II Timothy 2:15- Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- II Timothy 2:4- WE SHOULD NOT ENTANGLE OURSELVES WITH THE AFFAIRS OF THIS LIFE, BUT RATHER, PLEASE HIM WHO HAS CHOSEN US TO BE SOLDIERS.
From these scriptures, it is apparent that suicide occurs after God has given direction, his instructions are ignored/ disobeyed, faith disappears, and the enemy is free to set up camp in our minds- specifically, and in this case,
his job is to steal joy,
to kill the ambition to live, and
to destroy the soul.
So, submit to God- love, pray, worship, praise. Resist the devil, and he (and his nasty thoughts) will flee. –James 4:7